السبت، 14 مارس 2015

Why is Dennis Bergkamp called The Non Flying Dutchman?

Did you know Dennis Bergkamp had aviophobia.Dennis's nickname is the Non-Flying Dutchman due to his fear of flying. This started from an incident with the Netherlands national team at the 1994 World Cup where the engine of the plane cut out during a flight prompting a journalist to joke about having a bomb in his bag.Following this incident, Bergkamp decided he would never fly again but did consider seeking psychiatric help:

    Dennis spoke "I've got this problem and I have to live with it. I can't do anything about it, it is a psychological thing and I can't explain it. I have not flown on a plane for two years. The Dutch FA has been sympathetic, so have Arsenal, so far. I am considering psychiatric help. I can't fly. I just freeze. I get panicky. It starts the day before, when I can't sleep"


Dennis Bergkamp with Arsene Wenger
The condition severely limited his ability to play in away matches in European competitions and to travel with the national team. In some cases, he would travel overland by car or train, but the logistics of some matches were such that he would not travel at all. In the build-up to Arsenal's Champions League match against Olympique Lyonnais in February 2001, Wenger spoke of his concerns for Bergkamp travelling by train and car, because of the exertions involved.


ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق